Intellectual Property & Advertising
Clients of every size rely on our lawyers to develop, protect, and defend their most critical intangible rights. We combine years of practical experience in courtrooms, boardrooms, and high stakes negotiations with a nimble understanding of the cutting-edge intellectual property issues that drive much of modern commerce.
Our lawyers have litigated and tried a wide variety of sophisticated intellectual property and advertising disputes in courts throughout the nation, and before forums such as the International Trade Commission, the National Advertising Division, and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.
We regularly advise our clients on trademarks and branding, false and comparative advertising, rights of publicity, corporate identity, unfair competition, trade secrets, licensing, copyright and creative content, consumer promotions, consumer protection, and the legal implications of social media and new technology.
Representative Matters by Lawyers in the Firm
- Represented major nutritional supplement company in large scale trademark infringement and false advertising litigation
- Led grey market enforcement effort on behalf of global oral health product manufacturer
- Successfully defended complex infringement action before the International Trade Commission, after full hearing on the merits, and review by the full Commission
- Obtained summary judgment in defense of false advertising, false designation of origin, and trade secret claims, after extensive fact and expert discovery, including fee award
- Successfully argued appeal before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, overruling trademark application refusal on novel specimen issue for significant life sciences company
- Developed brand and IP strategies for global clients
- Advised well-known food, retail, and consumer products companies on marketing practices and social media issues
- Successfully represented major consumer products companies before nation’s premier advertising industry self-regulatory forums, National Advertising Division and Children’s Advertising Review Unit
- Counseled major insurance companies on intellectual property issues and marketing practices
- Negotiated trademark licensing transactions for significant consumer products companies and global retailers
- Advised national retailer on copyright and trademark issues, and successfully resolved a series of high-profile infringement disputes pre-litigation
- Coordinated international branding efforts with global network of foreign counsel for major life sciences company
- Reviewed and cleared major comparative advertising campaign for well-known national restaurant chain
- Counseled life-sciences companies on product packaging and legal risks emerging from parallel importation and counterfeiting
- Reviewed and designed legal framework for cutting-edge online promotions, including sweepstakes, contests, and other marketing practices
- Advised major toy and hobby company on copyright, trade secrets, and trademark issues